Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Oklahoma! Where are my employee rights?



I suppose this could be more of my about me page but I kinda want to pose this for comments to hear some other stories and feelings from you workers out there in what many of us know as the wonderful, Right To Work States. See as I wrote in my about me section I was born and raised in Dayton Ohio. And while being a worker in Ohio does lend itself to some employee based rights. One of which is the Right To Form a Union ( although I thought this was one of our basic Constitutional rights ).

I found after moving to Oklahoma that this right actually depends on which side of the Civil War you live in. I guess I should have paid more attention in history class. But hey that's what life is anyway isn't it a living history lesson. See the issue with a Right To Work State is while I do think you have a Constitutional Right to Form a Union an Employer in such a State also has a Right to Fire you if you even think Union. And what I've noticed in my State after working for several Major National Industries Walmart, Family Dollar, Haulmark Trailers, Dollar General is how this Law has several effects for a State. Here's a few.


  1. It's no coincidence that a lot of Major Companies have Distribution Centers in States that are Right to Work States, kinda like the precursor to third world manufacturing/distribution.

  2. These States Usually have a higher level of people living below the National Poverty Level. Because there are many clauses in these states which allow employers to pay lower wages. Some even below the Federal Minimum Wage I. E. employers with fewer employee's.

  3. Turn over. Although you would think in a State where if you lose your job the chances of you receiving Unemployment Benefits are slim to none that there would be fewer people that quit jobs. What I've noticed is the opposite mainly because it's hard to work like companies here demand.

  4. Hours worked. This is a big thing I experienced in my time here. Theres no such thing as a 40 hr work week here. And while if you love O.T. pay this is great sometimes the physical demand of the standard work week is more than one can handle. Which in turn is part of the cause of issue 3.

  5. Cost of Living. And this is the one actual plus side of these States. Obviously with a lower average earnings per quota you have a lower property value lower taxes etc,,,http://www.fedstats.gov/qf/states/40000.html

Now some other general observations I've had are a lot of people don't work very hard here. And while I'm sure some would argue about this I just have noticed that overall this has been the case wherever I've worked here. The biggest problem I see though is the hours worked it seems most of these Companies just abuse their right to schedule change without notification. Several places I've worked have went thru time periods where we were required 10 or more hours seven days a week.


Now before you all start thinking I'm just whining or lazy let me state I have always worked very physically demanding jobs. And that is actually my preference as it tends to not be boring or drawn out. But that is even the more reason why it is insane to push this many hours on people. Also adding the factor here in Oklahoma that the average days of 100 degrees or more is higher than most states. Fact: Almost all of the above companies have had a heat stroke related death in Oklahoma that I personally am aware of. Now that is why I think this Right to work Law is so awful. No one Should have to loose their life to ship a dollar product or assemble a cargo trailer for anyone.


In closing please join me in sending an email to our congressmen at this link. http://www.conservativeusa.org/mega-cong.htm


And please comment! Let me hear your thoughts and stories.


Politics Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is welcome.